Subheader

A forever in-work compendium of Marvel and DC canon immigrants. What's a canon immigrant? Go here to find out!

Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Character Spotlight: Luis

I feel a little uneasy about this one, but I think there's enough evidence for it to count. (And, if we're being honest, I have a gap to fill and I'll take what I can get.)

2015's Ant-Man was a surprise hit for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Although all their movies do well, people weren't expecting much from this one, and on top of that, there was a lot of controversy surrounding the movie thanks to Edgar Wright's departure.

I'm going to get on my soapbox for a second to say that I'm completely on Marvel's side for this one. I respect his decision to leave if he was being asked to make changes to his script he didn't want to make, but also...come on, dude. He knew what he was getting into when he signed up for it back in 2006. And if he didn't then, he certainly knew by the time they started production if he had paid attention to the 11 other movies (and multiple shows) made in the meantime. Marvel allowed him to delay Ant-Man until he was ready to make it - almost ten years, if you're keeping track - and agreed to his request to cut all references to the Ant-Man franchise until the movie was released, yet he still couldn't bring himself to play ball. But that's ok; by all accounts, we received a better movie for it.

Anyway, one of the most breakout parts of the movie was Luis, Scott Lang's cellmate/friend/literal partner-in-crime. Played by Michael Pena, he elevated the fun energy of a movie that already had quite a bit of it, and his storytelling became a trademark that people still talk about today.


Thanks to the movie, Ant-Man received a new comic called The Astonishing Ant-Man, which premiered in October 2015 (three months after the movie came out). The series finds Scott back in prison, with the first arc an extended flashback to how he got there. And his cellmate, true to form, is Luis.


Here's the thing, though: he's never called Luis. He never speaks so I don't know his personality. In fact, I can't even tell you if the person I've pictured is, in fact, Scott's cellmate because his face is never shown when they're in the cell. But this character, who looks a lot like Luis, is seen near Scott twice.

Normally, that wouldn't be enough for me. Even if the internet has decided this is Luis, I usually need some hard proof. If not actual in-comic evidence, then a quote from the writer or something. However, taking the rest of the book into account, I'm willing to go ahead with this one. After all, the series is meant to benefit from the heat of the movie. It uses the movie's logo. It puts Scott back in prison (just like the movie), has Cross Technologies as the villain (just like the movie), and focuses on Scott's relationship with Cassie (just like the movie). So I think it's safe to say that, just like the movie, Scott's cellmate is Luis.

No comments:

Post a Comment