Subheader

A forever in-work compendium of Marvel and DC canon immigrants. What's a canon immigrant? Go here to find out!

Friday, July 15, 2016

Batman Beyond: I Finally Figured It Out - Part 4: The Present

Long-time readers will know that Batman Beyond has long been a thorn in my side. DC seems to really want the franchise around, but can't ever seem to figure out what they want to do with it, so it's been in continuity, outside continuity, in continuity but with Tim Drake as Batman...it's a headache.

However, recently I got the chance to read through every Batman Beyond series and I took copious notes to try to figure out how it should be represented on this site, and figured it out I did: there are actually three separate versions of the Batman Beyond world. In this three part post, I will describe the three versions and note the characters and concepts each one introduced. If the site has already talked about them, I'll link to that page. If not, I'll put in the new information. Here's Part 1, Part 2a, Part 2b, and Part 3 if you missed them.

Version(?) 4: The Present
Once you decide a certain future is going to be THE future, it's hard to not start seeding that future in the present. This page catalogues the ones I know about so far. There aren't that many of them, and most of the ones that are there haven't appeared on this site already, but they're there, and for the sake of completion - and, let's be honest, to fill up the week - I'm compiling them here.

Wayne Industries being taken over by Powers International

The Jokerz gang

Warren McGinnis is the father of Terry McGinnis, aka Batman, aka Batman Beyond, aka...well, that's a spoiler at the time of the writing (but check out 2016 issues of Batman Beyond for more details!). He first appeared in the Batman Beyond pilot, "Rebirth" (1999), where he was unfortunately killed. However, he apparently went to Gotham Academy when he was a kid! He debuted as a little red-haired scamp in Gotham Academy #1 (October 2014), where he's called Warren:


And then again in issue 5 (February 2015), where this time he's called McGinnis:


If there are any I missed, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment